Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Last day

I can't believe that I just finished my exams. I'm back from the IES farewell luncheon and some walking with Megan (we walked around the area near school, went to Trocadero to say goodbye to the Eiffel Tower, and then walked around Neuilly for a bit), and I can't believe that tonight our host parents are taking us out to dinner and then it's all over. What a semester. Even though I'm excited to go home, leaving Paris is making me so unbelievably sad. It's really like another home now. But I found a really great French song about Paris! It's called "Paris, tu m'as pris dans tes bras" (Paris, you have taken me in your arms)

J'allais le long des rues
I went along the streets
Comme un enfant perdu
Like a lost child
J'étais seul, j'avais froid
I was alone, I was cold
Toi, Paris, tu m'as pris dans tes bras
You, Paris, you took me in your arms

Je ne la reverrai pas
I will not see her again
La fille qui m'a souri
The girl who smiled at me
Elle s'est seulement retournée et voilà
She only turned around and voila
Mais dans ses yeux j'ai compris
But in her eyes I understood
Que dans la ville de pierre
That in this city of stone
Où l'on se sent étranger
Where one feels a stranger
Il y a toujours le bonheur dans l'air
There is always happiness in the air
Pour ceux qui veulent s'aimer
For those who want to love it
Et le cœur de la ville
And the heart of the city
A battu sous mes pas
Beat underneath my steps
De Passy à Belleville
From Passy (neighborhood near the Eiffel Tower) to Belleville (in the eastern part)
Toi, Paris, tu m'as pris dans tes bras
You, Paris, you took me in your arms

Le long des Champs Elysées
The length of the Champs Elysees
Les lumiéres qui viennent là
The lights that came there
Quand j'ai croisé les terrasses des cafés
When I crossed the terraces of the cafes
Elles m'ont tendu leurs fauteuils
They gave me their armchairs
Saint-Germain m'a dit bonjour
Saint-Germain (abbey in the Latin Quarter) said hello to me
Rue Saint-Benoît, Rue Dufour
Rue Saint-Benoit, Rue Dufoir
J'ai fait danser pendant toute la nuit
I made dance during the whole night
Les filles les plus jolies
The most beautiful girls
Au petit matin blême
Pale in the early morning
Devant le dernier crème
In front of the last cream
J'ai fermé mes yeux là
I closed my eyes here
Toi, Paris, tu m'as pris dans tes bras
You, Paris, you took me in your arms

Sur les quais de l'île Saint-Louis
On the bridges of the Ile Saint-Louis
Des pêcheurs, des amoreux
The fishermen, the lovers
Je les enviais mais la Seine m'a dit
I envied them, but the Seine said to me
Viens donc t'asseoir avec eux
Come and sit down with them
Je le sais aujourd'hui
I know that today
Nous sommes deux amis
We are two friends
Merci au fond de moi
Thank you from the bottom of me
Toi, Paris, je suis bien dans tes bras
You, Paris, I am well in your arms
Toi, Paris, je suis bien dans tes bras
Toi, Paris, je suis bien dans tes bras
Toi, Paris, je suis bien dans tes bras

No comments: