Thursday, September 4, 2008

Day 1 in Paris!!






























Our trip started out by sitting on the runway in Newark for 2 hours. Joy! But then it proceeded excellently because Continental still provides free pillows/blankets, individual TV screens, and a dinner and breakfast. Sweeeet. True to form, I did not sleep on the plane but yet am not tired now...So yeah, Hayley, Megan, and I arrived and took a bus to Porte Maillot, where Megan and I took a taxi to our homestay, just on the border of northwestern Paris in a suburb called Neuilly-
sur-Seine. Luckily for us, it has elevators. Our
host mom, Mme D'Herbemont, was home and got
us settled in and unpacked. We have adjoining rooms, mine is yellow and Megan's is blue. The rooms have tons of books and helpful things former students have left here. We chilled out for a few hours and then Mme D'Herbemont took us out in her tiny little coupe and we went on a tour of the neighborhood (she showed us where the metro station was and got us our monthly passes), and then grocery shopping! She also showed us President Nicolas Sarkozy's apartment, down the block, and all the ambassadors' homes! We live in a very chic neighborhood, apparently. Megan and I went on a walk around the Bois du Boulogne, the park across the street (which is three times the size of Central Park), before eating. For dinner we had quiche Lorraine, salad (which in France means lettuce with dressing, just the way I like it), cheese, and bread. Oh, and rose wine, which was a first for me. A real French meal. We just met our host dad, he came home and hooked us up to the apartment's wireless network, which is an AWESOME perk. Their apartment is really pretty. Tomorrow we start some basic and short orientation stuff! For now, here's some pictures (more on Facebook).
#1-pretty lake in the park
#2-Megan in her room, taken from the adjoining doorway
#3-my room!
Things I learned today:
--saying "Je suis d'accord" (I'm OK) in French does not mean "No, I don't want anything to eat/drink", it means the opposite.
--saying "J'ai fini" does not mean "I have finished," it means "I'm dead." (the correct answer is "Je suis fini."
-the French really are obsessed with cheese.
-"doc doc"= "knock knock"

No comments: