Thursday, October 23, 2008

Institut du Monde Arabe and some churches




Another week of class is over...next week is midterms! Fun. I have 4 midterms next Wednesday and Thursday, but none in my Cato class...no, there I just have to write two 10-page single-spaced papers before December 9...at least one I get to choose the topic for, so I can start it soon. But yeah, ouuuch.
Today I finally got to do something enjoyable...I had to go to L'Institut du Monde Arabe to see the Bonaparte in Egypt exhibit for Art History (at first I had no idea why I was there, but since we just finished studying art during the Revolution, so next up is Napoleon, I suppose). I ended up buying a ticket to the whole museum, since I'd wanted to go anyway. The exhibit was really cool and interesting, it included a lot of effects with light and projection. The actual museum was slightly less interesting but still decent--it went through Arab artifacts and history starting from the days of Carthage and going up to the Ottoman Empire, including everything from Persian rugs to astrolabes. I was so sad that pictures were not allowed because I really wanted to show Robi everything I saw!
So after I finished that I decided to head out to the Latin Quarter to see the insides of some churches I'd wanted to see for awhile, Ste-Sulpice and Ste-Germain-des-Pres. Ste-Sulpice has a lot of Delacroix paintings, and we just finished learning about him in Art History. Apparently it used to be a little-known church that only people who loved Delacroix went to, but ever since The Da Vinci Code was written it's become full of tourists who flock there to see the Meridian line. So yeah, I was in two hemispheres today! It totally had not occurred to me before that I lived in a different hemisphere now...but yeah, the church was pretty. It was built in the 1600s and is the second-largest church in Paris, after Notre-Dame.
Next up was Ste-Germain-des-Pres. There was actually a small concert going on while I was there, a small string orchestra and three opera singers. It was really amazing to listen to, and the church was pretty. It actually dates back to Merovingian times in France, about the year 550, and it's right in the heart of the Latin Quarter.
Then I went to the mall at home to go shopping! always fun. This weekend two of Megan's friends from Richmond are coming to visit! It should be fun to practice showing people around.

No comments: