Tuesday, October 28, 2008

avoiding midterms studying




So, this week is midterms, I have two tomorrow (my 2 poli sci ones) and two Thursday (French and art history). I don't expect tomorrow to be too hard, hopefully that doesn't jinx me, but it's poli sci and most of the students in my class aren't poli sci majors and don't know much about the subject. Thursday will be harder.
Yesterday Megan and I created our own Halloween mood by going to Pere Lachaise, the most visited cemetery in the world. I had been there about a month ago, but unfortunately was wearing heeled boots and did not make it very far. So we went back for try #2 in more comfortable footwear! We saw the graves of Heloise & Abelard, Chopin, Jim Morrison, Balzac, Moliere, Lafontaine, Gertrude Stein, and I revisited Edith Piaf and Oscar Wilde to show Megan. In addition, we found a cat right near Jim Morrison's grave! The most gorgeous cat I've ever seen, white stomach with a black and orange back...the perfect Halloween kitty! But yeah, very Halloweeny cemetery. Then we came home and cooked ourselves some amazing chicken pesto paninis. We're so good at this.
Today I went Christmas shopping and got everything done before the family gets here Friday! My backpack was really heavy though, lol. I also went to see Madeleine, or the church of Mary Magdalene. There was a British choir rehearsing for a concert while I was walking around, I seem to have a knack for walking into places while people are rehearsing. It was really pretty, and the choir definitely added a great atmosphere! The outside is modeled after a Greek temple, and is only a few blocks from the Place de la Concorde (and thus has a great view)
Anyway, just a short rant. I hate smokers when I'm at home, but at home, they aren't that prevalent, except for some dumb people at Richmond and my piano teacher. (through which I realized that I have a slight allergy to cigarette smoke...it irritates my eyes, and in cases of longterm exposure, seems to make me congested, which I discovered in Paris). So yeah, I have seasonal allergies and it is normal for me to be sniffly all the time. But the flowers are dead, the leaves are falling, my room is clean (no more dust) and there is nothing left for me to be allergic to. So what is it? The stupid idiots who smoke all the time. Not just Parisians, that's to be expected, but about half the students I go to school with! And for some reason, the people who have just come in from smoking always choose to sit next to me in class, and as they sit down give off a cloud of their disgusting odor of cigarette. I can cut the elderly some slack, when they were young we didn't know how bad it was and it's hard to quit, but people my age have no excuse to be such idiots. And plus, I suffer too for their bad decisions. And I am tired of feeling like crap during class because my program includes a bunch of druggies and smokers (the drugs thing is not an exaggeration) who have fried their brains with alcohol and cocaine.
OK, I'm done ranting now, other than that everything is good, time to go study for midterms!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate the smokers too! There's this kid in my Latin class who smokes like a chimney and he sits right behind me. He always comes into class right before it's time to get started and suddenly I'm engulfed by the smell of cigarette smoke and I have to struggle not to gag. Smokers are stupid. Anyone our age dumb enough to smoke deserves all the potential negative side effects.