Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Insel Mainau


Schloss Mainau, the castle on the island
me with the tulips!
...it's everywhere....
the view from my balcony


So yesterday's challenges were overcome, with some inevitably embarrassing moments along the way that happen when you're in a new place. My kitchen is much better equipped, I figured out how to work the buses, and even managed to eat lunch at the uni cafeteria with minimal incident. They serve cocktails there. Seriously. There's a full bar. Of course, along the way, I managed to purchase only knives instead of assorted cutlery so I had to eat my omelet with a knife when I made dinner; couldn't figure out how to get off the bus and didn't know any words in German to yell to the bus driver so someone else had to do it for me; could not open the door to the mailbox room so the caretakers had to come help me...etc. I kind of feel like a mute because I can't communicate, but I'm definitely learning nouns, just need to learn some verbs to throw in there.

Today I had to be up early to meet Johannes from the Welcome Center at the Bürgerböro, kind of a town administrative office, to register myself as a foreign national in Konstanz. It was quick and easy and I got a book of coupons for things to do! (immediately used one today at Insel Mainau, of course) Then Johannes showed me a little of downtown Konstanz, and we got me a bank account and a cell phone. I can't wait to go back and explore when I'm done with finals, it's beautiful at that end of the city! I told him some of the words I learned yesterday in my online German lessons and he said my pronunciation was very good :-) yay!

So then I met up with my friend Alex from Richmond for lunch! It was really nice to see a familiar face. We got lunch at the uni, and after some bus mishaps we made it to Insel Mainau, which is a botanical garden on an island in the Lake Bodensee. The tulips were blooming and it was gorgeous! We also got to see the castle/mansion thing on the island. After another shopping trip (to get spoons and forks...), I headed home for the day.

word of the day:
Ich möchte=I want




No comments: