Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving in Paris




Today was kind of weird, what with having class on Thanksgiving and all. Megan and I decided to sleep in and skip our French class, because it's useless, so we got a bit of a treat.
After class I went to climb the towers of Notre Dame, because I hadn't done that yet and it was on my list of things to do before I left. 400 steps is a lot, let me tell you. They break it up on the way up, which is kind of cool...the first room you get left in is all about the book, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and then you go outside pretty far up the tower to see the gargoyles and the big bell, and then you go all the way to the top of one of the towers. Obviously Paris from above is a sight I was very familiar with, but the gargoyles were super cool! I got to get very up close and personal, haha. You could even see which ones they modeled the ones in the Disney movie after.
From there, I could see this church my French professor had recommended visiting, Ste-Julien-le-Pauvre, so I went there next. It is in this gorgeous park with a really pretty fountain. The church itself is tiny, 1000 years old, with statues that are 1200 years old. Pretty cool.
After treating myself to a crepe with Nutella and a walk around the Latin Quarter (my favorite part of Paris, definitely going to miss it), I headed home for awhile before Thanksgiving dinner! IES sponsored a Thanksgiving dinner for us, even hiring American caterers and treating us to turkey, green beans, pumpkin pie, etc. It was actually a really good meal! It was great that they did it because otherwise it would have been a pretty lame Thanksgiving. We had a great time, spending Thanksgiving with good friends is almost as good as being with your family. And for dessert we had the most delicious brownies...
Anyway, Megan and I are leaving for Rome REALLY early tomorrow morning, as in leaving the house at 5 am, so I am going to bed. Have a great weekend, everyone, and happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: